To err is human; to edit, divine 🙂 It has happened to all of us when we publish content on Instagram or leave a comment and then we notice there is something wrong or missing. There might be a problem with the picture or filter you used. Maybe the captions or texts don’t match the image or video. Therefore, you look for a way to fix it.
Ideally, it is highly recommended to not edit your Instagram posts after posting. In addition to negatively affecting your engagement rate, editing your Instagram posts after posting may limit the options you can use to improve them afterward. Therefore, you’d better check everything twice or even three times before posting.
It is, however, sometimes necessary to edit Instagram stories and posts after posting. While Instagram doesn’t allow you to make major changes after posting, there are some features, such as Instagram captions and hashtags, that you can edit easily. To learn how to edit Instagram stories, posts, or comments after publishing, keep reading this article. Here, you will learn what you can and cannot edit. Moreover, you will learn how to edit Instagram stories and posts later without deleting or reposting them. So without further ado, let’s dive right in.
How To Edit Instagram Stories
In this part, let’s focus on how to edit Instagram stories before and after posting. Then, let’s get started.
How to Edit Instagram Stories Before Posting
Instagram stories are guaranteed to keep you entertained. You can use the edit feature to make your Instagram stories more engaging and effective for business. You can add top Instagram hashtags, custom stickers, drawings, texts, and emojis to boost your engagement rate.
In a nutshell, Instagram stories are powerful tools for Instagram marketing accounts, so don’t underestimate them!
To edit an Instagram story before posting, simply follow these steps:
Step #1. Go to Instagram stories. You can open your IG account and click your profile to access Instagram stories. Or, click the boxed plus sign and select Instagram stories.
Step #2. Add a video or picture to your story. The length of videos should not exceed 15 seconds. Additionally, 9×16 is the optimal aspect ratio for a video or picture. For more information, check out this complete guide: social media image sizes and specs.
Step #3. Apply Instagram story edits. At this point, you can add a text, select a filter, or choose a sticker to revamp your story. The possibilities for creating unique story posts are nearly endless with the Instagram story edits.
⚠️Note: Make sure everything is correct before posting your story. Once you post the story, there is little you can do to fix the errors.
How to Edit Instagram Stories After Posting
Well, let’s say you’ve posted a few Instagram stories, but one isn’t quite what you intended or has a typo. So you ask yourself, how can I edit a story on Instagram? Here’s the answer. Follow these instructions to edit the IG story after posting.
- Go to the story you want to edit, tap ‘More’ and choose ‘Story Settings.’
- Now, you’ll enter Story Controls
- From here,
- You can hide people you don’t want to see your story;
- Choose your close friends or pick a group of friends or followers with whom you want to share your private Instagram stories posts.
- Specify who can reply to your posts – everyone, only people you follow or no one;
- Save Instagram stories to the Camera Roll or Archive (you can only see them after they disappear from your story).
🔥Pro Tip: After posting your Instagram stories, you can not change the clips per se. You can only edit highlights, captions, or change the Instagram story settings. To edit an existing story, tap the three dots and select ‘Edit Story.’
You can only make large changes by deleting and reposting the story. To make massive changes, save the story to your gallery and delete it to add more edits. Open Instagram stories from your profile. Then, go to your saved photo, re-add it, edit, and repost the story.
How to Edit Instagram Stories With AiGrow
It’s worth mentioning that you can edit your Instagram stories with AiGrow on your PC as well as your cellphone. No matter what your device is, the procedure is the same.
- Sign up to AiGrow for free and connect your Instagram to your dashboard:
- Open the ‘Posts & Scheduling’ tab
- Then, click ‘Repost’ and select the story. Afterward, you can schedule it as well or add links to it even if your account is not verified yet.
- Enter your username and select the story you want to edit
- Now do whatever change you want and repost it or even schedule the Instagram story for later.
Just remember to delete the original Instagram story after the edited one goes live.
How to Edit Story Highlights on Instagram
You can save and organize your favorite stories in story highlights. This feature allows you to save your favorite story posts forever, instead of letting them disappear after 24 hours. It is located just above your posts, right below your bio on your Instagram profile page.
How to Highlight Instagram stories? Follow the steps below:
- Go to the story you want to highlight and tap the Highlight button
- Choose a title and thumbnail.
- That is it.
🎯Now you can edit or delete your highlights whenever you want.
How to Add to Highlights on Insta
- Select your intended highlight and tap ‘More’
- Choose Edit Highlight
- Go to Archive and select one or multiple stories
- Now, you can edit the cover and change the Highlight’s name
How to Create a New Highlight and Add Multiple Stories
Here is how:
- Tap the +New button.
- Choose the stories you want to add to your new highlight
- Tap Next
- Name your highlight and choose your story cover
- Finally, tap Done.
How to Delete a Highlight on Instagram
- To delete Instagram highlights, long-press on the Highlight from your profile page.
- Then, select ‘Delete Highlight’, and that’s it!
How To Edit Instagram Posts
It’s been said by many Instagram experts that you should not edit Instagram posts when they go live. That is why you are required to double or triple-check your Instagram post before publishing.
If you would like to edit an Instagram post after it has been posted, follow these steps:
- Select the post you want to edit in your IG profile
- Tap on three dots top right of the post
- Tap Edit
- Now, you can edit your Instagram captions, location, hashtags, tagged accounts (bottom Left), and Instagram Alt text (bottom right).
🚫 Instagram does not allow you to edit photos after they are posted. Moreover, you can not add or remove a photo to an existing Instagram post. In this case, what you need to do is to delete or archive the post as quickly as possible and then re-post it.
After signing up for free and connecting your IG account to the AiGrow dashboard, select Manage Account and then ’Bulk Post Delete.’
Then click ‘Select All Posts’ and tap ‘Delete.’
FAQs on How to Edit Instagram Stories & Posts
Now, let’s look at some of your most frequently asked questions on how to edit Instagram stories and posts! See if they answer your questions.
Q1. How to Delete a Story on Instagram?
If you want to know how to delete a photo or video from your story, follow the steps below:
- Tap Your story at the top of Feed.
- Then tap More (on iPhone) or More (on Android) at the bottom right of the photo or video you want to delete.
- Finally, tap ‘Delete’ and then tap ‘Delete’ again for confirmation.
Q2. How To Change Instagram Highlight Cover And Name?
- Tap on the story you want to edit
- Tap on the three dots down-right
- Tap on Edit
- There you can edit both name and cover of the highlight
If you want to edit the highlight cover and select a cover that is not among the stories, you should first publish that cover to your story and add it to your highlights. If you are uncomfortable with doing so, you can hide the story from everyone when you publish that cover to your story.
Q3. How To Reorder Instagram Highlights?
You should know your highlights are arranged in chronological order. It means every time you add a story to a highlight, that highlight appears in the beginning. In other words, the stories are ordered chronologically and you can not reorder them.
However, if you wonder how to rearrange your highlights on Instagram, add a random new story to the highlight you want to move to the beginning of the row. Don’t forget to remove the random story that you added.
Please note that you can only reorder your Instagram story highlights in the mobile app. In other words, you cannot reorder your Instagram story highlights through a computer.
Q4. Can I Edit Instagram Post On PC?
Q5. How To Edit Comments On Instagram?
Instagram does not have a feature to enable you to edit Instagram comments. And to be fair, this feature is not even necessary. Delete the comment and leave a new one.
Here is how to delete a comment on Instagram:
- Find the comment you would like to delete.
- You can swipe left on an iPhone or tap and hold on an Android device to delete a comment.
- Now, you will see two icons next to your comment, including a white trash bin against a red or blue background, depending on your mobile device. Select the white trash bin icon.
Q6. How To Edit Direct Messages?
The same goes for Instagram DMs. If there is an error regarding the DM you have sent, you can simply unsend the DM and write a new one. When you unsend a direct message, you delete the DM from both sides.
Conclusion on How to Edit Instagram Stories & Posts
We all have made some errors when it comes to Instagram which we noticed after the content goes live whether it is posts, stories, comments, or direct messages. Hopefully, this article has helped you to clear up any confusion about editing your already published Instagram stories and posts. In addition, we showed you how to auto-share your posts using Instagram’s best scheduler, AiGrow.
Feel free to comment below if we missed answering a question on the topic. We will do our best to answer your questions in future posts.