The Facebook marketplace launched in 2016 to let users buy and sell items locally and at a reasonable price. Learning how to use the Facebook marketplace can be very useful because it allows you to quickly find free or paid items near where you live and around what you’re interested in having. By learning how to sell on the Facebook marketplace, you can generate income through the Facebook platform.
Moreover, you can leverage this new feature directly within the Facebook app to grow your local business through social commerce strategies. The best part is that there are no fees, which means all the profit is yours.
If you are interested in knowing how to use the Facebook marketplace, please continue reading this step-by-step guide.
Here, you will learn how to get a Facebook marketplace and start selling and buying goods on the platform. Furthermore, this comprehensive guide on how to use the marketplace on Facebook will attempt to answer the most common questions you may have about it. Therefore, without further ado, let’s dive in!
What is Facebook marketplace
The marketplace is an incredible built-in feature on Facebook that goes both ways for both buyers and sellers online.
‘How does Facebook marketplace work?’ you might wonder. Technically, it gives the customers the opportunity to find what they’re looking for through filtering their results by category, location, and price, and enables sellers to showcase their products and find potential customers.
Facebook Marketplace Categories
Basically, brands and FB users can list the items they wish to sell on this platform in the categories below:
- Clothing & Accessories,
- Home & Garden,
Why Should You Use Facebook Marketplace
Knowing why this could be a potential place for you to sell your products and services is important as it helps you develop an insight into what you’re doing and set up your strategy. So, let’s discuss the importance of it first.
A lot of people are using social media apps these days because based on the statistics, the Facebook marketplace has over 1 billion monthly active users globally. This is a great opportunity for every business owner out there who wishes to increase their sales online.
That’s why Over 250 million shops are currently active on the Facebook marketplace app and making profits out of it. So why not grasp this opportunity and showcase your services to a very large audience that you can’t find elsewhere?
What makes this a great platform for your business is that Facebook marketplace ads reach nearly 562 million people. In contrast to other similar listing sites, this platform enables you to provide a list of your items for free.
Now let’s walk you through a step-by-step guide on how to sell on the Facebook marketplace to help you make the most out of this golden opportunity to generate sales on the platform as easy as ever.
How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace
Thanks to Facebook, businesses and individuals alike can list items for sale, whether they are used or brand new. However, do mind that if you misuse Marketplace in a way that is against Facebook’s Commerce Policies or Community Standards your access to this feature will be removed.
To learn how to sell on the marketplace, please follow the steps below:
1. Go to Facebook Marketplace
If you log into the Facebook app, you should notice a new marketplace icon on the left menu. If you see it for the first time, the marketplace Facebook will inform you of more details before proceeding further. To get started on the Facebook marketplace, click the icon.
The process is similar to learning how to use the Facebook marketplace on a desktop. Just click the marketplace icon on the navigation menu in the upper-left corner of the page. By clicking on the marketplace icon, the marketplace will open on a new page, showing the most popular posts in your area.
Click on ➕ to create a new listing, then click Item for sale.
2. Upload Images to Marketplace Facebook
The marketplace on Facebook will ask you to add a photo of the product you are selling. In contrast to some online marketplaces, the Facebook marketplace will not charge you for listing multiple images. Therefore, you can add up to 10 clear photos of the item you wish to offer more detailed information about.
Please note that Facebook prefers original photos to stock or company photos. Please follow the correct social media image sizes and specs to maximize your chances of success in the marketplace.
3. Provide a Title for the Item
Next, the marketplace Facebook will ask you to write a title. Your title should be concise and clear about what you sell in the market. It is important to note that the Facebook marketplace app has a 100-character limit on titles.
4. Add a Description on Marketplace Facebook
Now marketplace Facebook will ask you to add a description to your item. You should provide as much information as possible about items for sale on the Facebook marketplace, including size, color, condition, and more.
5. Add a Price to Items for Sale on Facebook Marketplace
You should set a price for the item you’re selling on the Facebook marketplace. If you want to find out the value of your item before posting it, you can go to eBay’s advanced search for sold items. Type your item into the search bar, then select the sold listings on the left-hand bar.
6. Include a Location & a Category When Advertising
You need to choose a location to advertise an item you are selling on the Facebook marketplace. Moreover, you should select a category that best fits this selling item.
7. Finish the Sales process
If you’ve followed the steps correctly, the Facebook marketplace app will activate your listing so that it will be visible to the public. Thus, anyone in your area can find your item and message you if they want to buy it. Additionally, marketplace Facebook will take you to your items management area, where you can communicate with potential buyers or make changes to your items.
That’s it. Now you have your first item for sale on the Facebook marketplace app.
Tips for Selling More on Facebook Marketplace
As mentioned earlier, millions of businesses are currently active on this platform and selling their goods. Some of them have been doing so for years, making it a highly competitive atmosphere for newcomers.
Now that you know how to use Facebook marketplace, consider the following 5 tips to maximize your sales.
#1 Do Your Homework!
Before taking any further steps, make sure you do your research first. Take the time to have a look at the marketplace to see which items are desired most in your niche.
That way, you’ll understand people’s desires, wants, and needs and can generate more sales by supplying them.
#2 Choose the Right Category
We’ve been witnessing a lot of people using irrelevant tags under their posts just because they were popular which resulted in their being flagged.
If you post your pair of sneakers in the electronic category, you’ll only help the Facebook marketplace flag you as spam.
Therefore, make sure you choose the right and most relevant category for your listing.
#3 Optimize Your Listing
Facebook marketplace algorithm values SEO when it comes to selling on the platform. Try to use the main keywords related to the items in the title and the secondary keywords in the description.
This will help your items to be seen by your ideal customer and consequently, increase your sales on FB marketplace.
#4 Optimize Your Photos
No one will be attracted to blurry, low-quality photos. You need to catch your audience’s attention. So, do your best to take high-quality, aesthetic photos of your items. This means you need to have good lighting, a background, and a smartphone/camera.
In case you don’t have the facilities to take high-quality photos to post in your Facebook marketplace app, you can use applications such as Remini to enhance their quality. You can download this app on Google Play or App Store.
#5 Take a Hand from Facebook Ads
Now that you’ve taken the basic steps, you’re ready to get your products viral.
Create Facebook ads to extend your reach, and introduce your listing to a wider audience. Also, you can retarget the people who have purchased your items before.
How to Use Facebook Marketplace Search
- First, go to the marketplace Facebook.
- Then, type your keyword in the top search bar and press Enter.
- Now, click on ‘Sort by’.
- You can choose how to sort your Facebook marketplace search at this stage. You can sort your search results by location, price, color, category, and so on. The marketplace has a location tool that allows you to adjust your region. Please select ‘Local Listings’ if you want to discover listings in your area.
How to Buy from the Marketplace
When you search and find something you are interested in, tap the image to view more details about it, including a product description, the seller’s name, profile photo, and location. You can also save the item to view it later. Take a look at this article if you are interested in learning how to download Facebook photos.
Once you decide you want it or are interested in it, you can contact the seller in two ways on FB marketplace. If you click on Facebook Messenger, you can send a personalized message to the seller. But if you click on the ‘Send Offer’ button, you will send a default message that says, ‘Is this available?’
To view your list of items you want to buy and your conversations with sellers, click ‘Your account,’ then click ‘Your listings’.
You can check out this article for more information on using Facebook Messenger Story Like a Pro.
How to Get Paid on Facebook Marketplace
Marketplace Facebook does not offer any built-in payment or delivery services. So you have to arrange payment options with the buyer. Facebook itself suggests cash or payments via Facebook Messenger or PayPal. Be careful not to share your private checking/banking/login information with anyone.
How to Use Paypal on Facebook Marketplace
You can add PayPal as a payment method on FBMP. To learn how to use Paypal on the Facebook marketplace, please follow these steps:
- First, go to your Facebook settings and Privacy.
- Select Payments.
- Then click or tap on Facebook Pay in the left panel.
- You’re now in the Facebook Pay settings. From here, you can link your PayPal account to Facebook.
- At this point, select ‘Add Payment Method’, then add ‘Paypal’, and sign in with the PayPal account you want to use.
- Here, select ‘Agree and Continue’. Doing this adds your Paypal account to your Facebook Pay. You can also set it as the default payment method for purchases.
- Finally, click on ‘Save’.
Paying for Items with Paypal
- Go to the marketplace.
- Click on the item you wish to buy.
- Then, click ‘Buy Now’.
- Now, enter your shipping information. If you’ve used Facebook Pay before, your shipping information will already appear under ‘Delivery Information’.
- Choose PayPal as your payment method. Review your payment information and select ‘Place Order’.
Once you select the order, the seller has three days to ship the item. When the seller marks the item as shipped and enters a tracking number, the money will be removed from your PayPal account. But, it won’t be sent to the seller until 4 to 5 days after the buyer receives the item.
How to Create Ads for the MarketPlace
Did you know that you can develop a Facebook ad strategy to reach a broader audience in the marketplace? Facebook announced the option of placing ads in the market in June 2018. To do so, please follow the steps below:
- Go to Facebook Ads Manager, and choose your objective (whether it is to raise brand awareness, gain more traffic, reach, etc.).
- Then, define your target audience.
- Now, select Automatic or Manual Placements. Our recommendation is to use Automatic Placements.
- Once you have finished setting up your ad, click Publish. When Facebook approves your ad, users will see it while browsing the marketplace on the Facebook app.
If you’ve run out of ideas, check out the best Facebook ad examples to get more practical tips for creating your attention-grabbing Facebook ad.
Facebook Marketplace Rules and Regulations
If you want to win, you need to know the rules of playing the game. So far in this article, we’ve discussed every little detail about how to sell on Facebook marketplace in 2022. Now, it’s time to work on the rules you need to obey when using it.
#1 Some Items Can’t be Sold on FB Marketplace
- You can’t sell services (e.g. house cleaning, teaching, etc.) on this platform.
- The pictures you post of the items should match the description and title. Otherwise, you won’t be allowed to sell them.
- You are also not permitted to sell animals on the marketplace or share animal adoption posts.
- You are not allowed to sell healthcare-related products such as first-aid kits, lab equipment, etc.
- Facebook marketplace doesn’t allow you to post before and after pictures. For instance, it doesn’t let you sell drugs for losing weight with before and after pictures.
- Adult products are prohibited.
- Selling and buying alcohol is banned.
#2 Certain Countries Should Provide Identity Info
If you’re a seller from countries such as Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, you are required to provide FB marketplace with identity information like your name, street address, email, registration number, and VAT number to be able to use this feature.
Facebook Marketplace FAQs
Now you know every detail of information you need to launch your FB marketplace. However, there are some common questions that may occur to you. In the following, you’ll read some of them.
1- Why Can’t I Use Facebook Marketplace?
You may not be able to see and use the marketplace icon for a variety of reasons, including:
- Age and Region: The marketplace is only available to users aged 18 and older in supported countries, such as the US, Canada, and Australia. The marketplace icon won’t appear when your Facebook home address belongs to a country that isn’t supported.
- Device: The FB marketplace only works on the iPhone 5 and later versions, Android, and iPads. It does not run on the iPod touch.
- The Age of Your Facebook Account: Also, you may not be able to use your FB marketplace due to the age of your account. As such, if you have a new account, the marketplace may not be immediately accessible.
- Infrequency in Using the Item: The icon may disappear if you don’t use the marketplace very often.
- Access Denied: If you violate Facebook policies or standards while using the marketplace, you may lose access to the feature.
2- How to Get Facebook Marketplace?
This is a built-in feature, so you already have it. To access FB marketplace on the web, click on the marketplace icon in the main menu on the left bar of your screen. If you’re using the app, click on the three horizontal lines to see the main menu and then click on ‘Marketplace’.
3- How Long Do You Have to Be on Facebook to Use Marketplace?
As mentioned earlier, the marketplace will not show up for new users. It will be available on their account after 11-12 months. It is a new restriction imposed by Facebook to prevent scammers who frequently delete and set up new profiles in order to sell fake or illegal items that Facebook authorities have banned.
4- How Can I Avoid Facebook Marketplace Scams?
Now, let’s answer the next most common question: how do I use Facebook marketplace safely?
Safety should always be your top priority. If a message or profile looks suspicious, go with your gut and walk away. It is also safe to exchange your goods in a busy public place.
If the exchange must take place at your home, you shouldn’t feel compelled to let anyone into your home. Also, make sure you have someone else at home. For example, consider asking a friend to be with you.
Rather than using PayPal, bank transfers, or checks, always ask for payment in cash. The risk of fraud increases when you give out your bank account information. Also, there is no guarantee that checks will clear.
Here are some excellent tips from Facebook on buying and selling safely in the marketplace. By doing your due diligence before buying and following Facebook marketplace rules, you can stay safe while making profitable transactions on the platform.
5- Why Are Facebook Marketplace Cars So Cheap?
The ‘Facebook marketplace cars’ is a popular place for used-car buyers and sellers. However, it’s also a haven for scammers hoping to make a quick buck without actually selling anything. Thus, to make a good deal, you should be careful to protect yourself from potential scammers on the site.
First, trust your instincts to determine whether or not a car listing is reliable or not. Moreover, meeting the car seller in person is essential. If the seller cannot meet with you in person at a public place like a police station or a bank with surveillance cameras, kindly dismiss the transaction.
You can also use sites like Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds to find out the car’s current market value. Thus, you will know whether it is a fair price or not.
Please take note that the car’s actual price is in the description when you click through. Thus, sellers usually set an unreal price for the listing so that it shows up at the top when people filter by lowest to highest price. To put it another way, car sellers set a low price on their listings as a trick to beat Facebook’s algorithm and get more eyes.
Additional Tips for Car Buyers on the FB Marketplace
Here are some tips to keep in mind when purchasing a used car from a private seller on the marketplace:
- Request the VIN (vehicle identification number) and run a CARFAX report on the vehicle before viewing it. It only costs you a few dollars. If the seller refuses to provide the VIN, avoid doing business with them.
- If you message a seller on Facebook and they immediately ask you for your email address, it may be a scam. Therefore, try to remain on Facebook throughout the conversation.
- Once you test-drive the car, have a reliable mechanic inspect it. Additionally, bring someone you trust when you visit the seller.
- Never share your personal or banking info with another person, even if that person is trying to deposit money into your account.
- The seller should sign the title over to you and notify the DMV to relinquish responsibility for the vehicle.
6. How to Add Tags on Facebook Marketplace in 2022?
If you’re a seller on FB, you most probably know that one helpful way to get your items seen by as many buyers as possible is using tags. Similar to Instagram hashtags, Facebook marketplace tags are keywords that best describe your products and help potential buyers find them.
While this was an amazing feature for shop owners, sellers have been having difficulty finding this option due to the Facebook marketplace changes in 2022. It turns out that Facebook has removed the tag feature from the marketplace in 2022 and has added another feature instead.
Here’s how to add tags on Facebook marketplace in 2022:
- First, add your product to your Facebook shop.
- Then, create a new post on your page and add a photo.
- Next, click on the ‘Tag product’ option. Now, a search menu will appear. Type down the name of the product you wish to tag and click on it.
- Finally, the name of the product will turn into a clickable link in your post. When clicked, the link will take your customers to the product page. In case you have added a website link to your Facebook shop, they’ll be redirected to your website.
In this post, we talked about the Facebook marketplace and how to use it effectively. We also answered some of the most common questions you may have about the marketplace. I hope you enjoyed reading this guide on how to use the Facebook marketplace. However, please keep in mind that the marketplace is not well regulated. Therefore, you should give it some thought before using it at your discretion.
Crazy low prices should not trigger you to buy items because some may be fakes or scams. Make sure you also take other critical factors into account, like the credibility of the seller, security measures, and your due diligence and attention.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article. I wish you the very best with your dealings in the marketplace. Good luck!